Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Learning from work Day « My Open Experience

Recently I have been analysing and reflecting my progress as an OU student continuously – not only have I including a 50 word reflection after each essay, I had to write an assignment all about self-reflection and personal critical analysis. Although this sounds intense and boring, it's actually a really good way of improving weak areas, and accepting criticism with confidence and positivity. But today is 'Learning from work Day' and I decided to write a blog about what I've learnt from my employment as well as the being with the OU. I decided to focus on just two attributes that I feel are essential for being professional and successful at what you do.

I've been in my current job for nearly two years now, and not only have I made very good friends, I feel I've come a long way in skills and self-confidence. My confidence has been the ultimate change I think, for I'm dealing with phone calls and e-mails with people every working day. When people think of confidence they think of the ego, and many assume that being confident means being arrogant, but confidence gets you through life, whether it's studies or employment or a hobby etc. The more you do something, the better you will get at it, and learning new things is a fantastic way to build your self confidence because you start to feel you can achieve anything (which is more or less true!). I was given the opportunity to progress in my job as well, and the increasing level of responsibility was very daunting at first, but it has increased my confidence and now I am in charge of the HR management and advice for four schools in Dorset. Although I could apply for an 'easy' job without the stress, I think it's important to push yourself and you never know, you may surprise yourself with what you can achieve!

The next skill I think I have learnt from both my employment and being a student of the OU is time management and my organisation skills. Being a distant learner, you have to take full responsibility for how, where and when you study, because you are the only one who will be affected. Luckily I like being quite organised with my things anyway, but managing my time effectively has been crucial, and working part time and studying part time forces me to plan out what is top priority that week and what isn't. I like to make a study place each Sunday night for the week ahead, based around my work and social events I've organised. That way, I know what I'm capable of doing in my free time, and I can do more things I want to do with my life! Time management is very important – we've all had the lecture from our first job about how important it is to not be late, and it sounds cliché but it's so true. The better you are at managing your time, not only do you get work done without the stress, but you make time for other things to do in your life.

It's not about being regimented and anal, it's about using your time effectively based on what is important to you, and having the time to go out without the worry of work!