Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Sexist Bible

Okay, I bet this is all glaringly obvious to all of you lot, but a realisation hit me like a thunderbolt on Sunday. I was leading  a Book of Common Prayer (1662) Communion Service and I got us all doing the full Ten Commandments, with responses. I like that sort of thing. In fact I like the BCP service, much to the horror of some of my friends. So I said this:
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his servant, nor his maid, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is his.

It says you should not covet thy neighbour's wife, but not thy neighbour's husband. Why? Well I already knew that the Bible was written by straight men. But until this point it hadn't occurred to me that if was written for straight men.

This caused me to understand why God is represented as the man in the parables and people are represented by the sinful women. Take the prophet Hosea in the Old Testament and Gomer his unfaithful wife, or the bride of God in Ezekiel Chapter 16, or Jesus being portrayed as the bridegroom, and the church as the bride. The reader is to empathise with God - how would it feel to be like Hosea, and have an unfaithful wife like Gomer who has lovers? If you wouldn't like it as a man then God equally doesn't like it and you should not bow down to idols.

The problem is that it makes the Bible much less accessible to women because the metaphors are all the wrong way round. In addition, the female is often associated with sinfulness and the male is associated with perfection. Ok.. I can hear my male friends teasing me now.... 'and what is wrong with that..?'