Monday, May 16, 2011

Original License Plate « Old Trucks

 

FL_tag

Many people have asked me about the license plate I have on my truck. It is an original plate from the same year of the truck, 1954 and I bought it during the "Turkey Run", in Daytona Beach, Florida, back in 2000.

In Florida the law allows me to have this plate as long as I follow some rules. First, the plate has to be in its original state. In other words I cannot paint it or rebuilt it in any way. Then I have to fill a form and send it along with the plate to the Departament of Motor Vehicles, in Tallahassee for approval. The plate is then registered in my name and returne to me to be installed on the truck.

There are lots of sites on the Internet that sell antique old plates like mine and you can buy yours online. They are not too expensive and there are virtually thousands to chose from. But first I would advise you to check the law in your State to make sure you can do this and also to find out exactly what you have to do ir order to have your plate registered in your name.